Build a Capsule Wardrobe from Your Own Closet: 18 Pieces = 31 Outfits for Work and Weekends
Do you want to get dressed quickly in the morning and always look stylish? Do you have a full wardrobe of clothes but still don’t know what to wear? Well, maybe you can take some time over the weekend and build a capsule wardrobe out of what you already have! By doing so, you can see what you really need and love, and what you can let go of while decluttering your space. Meanwhile, shopping your own closet is fun, sustainable and your wallet will thank you too.
A capsule wardrobe contains minimal items that can be mixed and matched for maximum style possibilities. With that in mind, I decided to experiment with 18 pieces to create 31 different looks throughout August. These 18 pieces include 12 clothing items, 3 pairs of shoes, and 3 bags, excluding accessories such as belts, jewelry and sunglasses.
My capsule contains half of what I currently have for summer. This small collection of clothing and accessories makes it easy for me to swap out or replace any items. Try digging through your own closet to discover a capsule wardrobe that speaks to you. Have fun and good luck!
→The rules I set for myself for this experiment are simple:
1. No shopping for clothing/shoes/accessories in August, meaning byebye to end of season summer sales.
2. The capsule is for both work and weekends, as I work in a casual environment.
3. Only 1 – 2 additional accessories allowed for each look.
I’ll be sharing my 31 outfits on my Instagram, please follow for daily updates! A complete “lookbook” for all 31 outfits will be available on August 31st on this blog as well. 😀
A list of the 18 items in my capsule:
Tops (from top to bottom, left to right):
1. Topshop Scallop Frill Tee (old, size US4)
2. Banana Republic Cotton Cardigan (old, size PXS)
3. Zara B&W Collection 3/4 Sleeves (old, size S)
4. H&M Open-shoulder Top (size XS, true to size)
5. Ecote Self-tie Tank (old, size XS)
6. Kate Spade “that’s bananas” Graphic Tee (old, size XXS)
Bottoms (from top to bottom, left to right):
1. Alice+Olivia Marisa Embroidered Shorts (old, size 0)
2. J Brand Cropped Skinny Jeans (size 26, true to size)
3. BCBGeneration Pleated Dress (old, size XXS)
4. Uniqlo Wide Leg Pants (old, size XS)
5. J Brand Denim Skirt (old, size XS)
6. Pink Tartan Pencil Skirt (second-hand from ThredUp, size XS)
1. Kate Spade Leewood Place Mini Makayla Crossbody (old, Pink)
2. Rebecca Minkoff Finn Fringe Crossbody (old, Camel)
3. Hanaa-fu Aries Convertible Tote (Small, Black/Blue)